About Roset

My photo
No words can explain how deeply people want to connect with each other. How much pain they will suffer trying to be accepted, to be valued and to be loved. The yearning to be wanted is probably the most trauma that some individuals will ever inflict up on themselves. No matter race, colour, creed, sexual orientation, religion, culture, gender, age or any other factor, what everyone wants is to belong, to connect, to be loved. It is so easy to reach out to someone yet, for some it is the most difficult thing to find someone to connect to. Reach out to those you meet in your daily march. You just never know whose life you might touch, what spark, even unknowingly, you may make.

Tuesday 11 June 2013

Open Evening for Primary Science and other 'stuff'

This week the science students raved about their learning outcomes. I thought I would need to inspire them but they actually inspire me. It is rather amazing and a concept I had not thought of or entertained before. These students amaze me. Sometimes they come out with things that make me step back and take a breath. Their willingness to entertain any fascinating or bizzare idea is remarkable. The way they trust me to tell them the truth is quite humbling.  The way they think, form opinions, come to conclusions and enter in to discussion all by themselves is a fascination to watch. Having faith to allow student centred and guided learning is probably the best idea since sliced bread. It beats the sage model hands down.

The ESOL students have another edition today. A Year 14 boy, well - really he is a man. It looks like I will have to learn some welding vocabulary to help him out. His written work is very poor, but his conversation skills are quite high, so we'll build on that.

The open night went ok. I didnt say what I wanted to but kept it short and sweet. I fumbled over the last couple of sentences on the close but whether that made any real impact or not I dont know. Others seemed to think it went well and commented positively so thats a good sign. The students were fantastic and engaged the adults to do some experiments set up around the room. All but one parent was positive about the programme. The one that wasnt probably didnt understand science concepts or see the bigger picture. I wish she had read some of the 'Science Behind the Experiment' sheets. That may have changed her mind. Regardless, it seemed to go ok. 

The HoD was happy to. She seems to be much more relaxed .... I am doing what I do well and leaving all else where it falls.

Anyway, so long as students remain engaged and have learning outcomes to walk away with - that my goal achieved.

No comments:

Post a Comment