About Roset

My photo
No words can explain how deeply people want to connect with each other. How much pain they will suffer trying to be accepted, to be valued and to be loved. The yearning to be wanted is probably the most trauma that some individuals will ever inflict up on themselves. No matter race, colour, creed, sexual orientation, religion, culture, gender, age or any other factor, what everyone wants is to belong, to connect, to be loved. It is so easy to reach out to someone yet, for some it is the most difficult thing to find someone to connect to. Reach out to those you meet in your daily march. You just never know whose life you might touch, what spark, even unknowingly, you may make.

Sunday 16 June 2013

Head Hunted - Yr7 and 8 Science Teaching position offered: Permanent Full-Time!

I have been thinking lately how wonderful things were going since all the drama in Term 1 was inflicted on me. Term 2 has been pretty good so far. Now I know what I am supposed to be doing with ESOL funding, testing and reports I'm feeling a lot more confident. Since some who did not take too kindly to my arrival at school, for a variety of reasons, have now started talking to me normally instead of sniping at me because of stereotypes and old hurts they sadly suffered. Most have now come to realise I am in fact out to support them with the best of intentions and nothing more so, things have progressed into a workable situation. 

Indeed, I also needed to change the way I looked at certain situations and needed to take a step back in order to respond instead of react to comments that were not necessarily positive about my presence. My changes and the changes of others together appear to have made all the difference. The students have settled in to Term 2 as one would expect. They must feel comfortable because they have started to give a bit of back chat, some cheek and are slacking off with homework. The cheek and back chat is not a worry and easilly dealt with but the slacking off with homework does not do the students justice. This is what is taking my time at the moment because if they slack off with ESOL homework it holds the class back when we could be moving on. In any case the swearing and throwing tantrums in class hasn't returned so I've got to be doing something right. Anyway, I digress... 

I have been offered a full-time permanent teaching position in a Christian, non-Catholic school, attached to a church I have passed many times but have never actually entered. I had not even heard of this school before and it seems that they have heard about me from a source at University. Hmmm! I have not applied for a job there but have been asked if I would be interested in starting a Year 7-8 full-time permanent teaching position with them from Term 3. Now, doesn't this offer a lovely dilemma!? My contract at my current school is only part permanent and part fixed. When the fixed portion is complete at the end of the year it makes me a part-time teacher. If only continuing with ESOL regardless of the fixed-term being removed, because of the unpaid Management Unit and additional work that is needed to really get the department up to date, the remaining part-time permanent position will in fact result in the same number of hours, as if the fixed-term had not ceased. This is because there is much more to do in ESOL, including the implementation of more examination options, testing and formal English Language assessments - unless of course I shrug these additional things off and work on a part-time basis only. I fear my work ethic and personal morals would not allow that and I'll probably end up working f-t for p-t hours and pay!

So, would it be better to accept the permanent full-time science position or stay where I am. Lets look at this. My current school gave me a job after many job applications failed to even render me an interview. I did say that whoever gave me a job first would be the ones to keep me. I did say that. Things at my current school are pleasant at the moment and I can get on and do what needs doing with support when I need it which is a much better position than I was in during Term 1. I have done the hard-yards and now things are settling down wouldn't it be foolish of me to move and make a change when things appear to be getting better and the school I am at has so many exciting plans for the future like becoming a Year 7-13 provider! There are a lot of reasons to stay, not least of all the Principal who is rather spectacular for a leader. Maybe spectacular isn't the right word, but inspirational is the right word and she is open to folk finding their niche and moving on to where they want to be, which ironically makes me want to stay. I mean where else do you get that kind of unconditional support. Oohhhhh.... so much to consider.

I feel I am where I am supposed to be now. Maybe making a change, however flattering, is not the right thing to do. Whether, in reality, I am needed or wanted at my current school is irrelevant. What I need to focus on is the difference I can make to students and I think I could make more difference to my ESOL students than to others, although if I got hold of students at Year 7 and 8 I could provide some positive influence there too. Round and round in circles we go!!!! 

Right now, I am happy enough. The students trust me and I am fortunate to be part of a rather large schools with rather large plans for next year. For now, I think I might put the head hunters on the back burner and hope and trust I am not making a mistake. What do you think? ReALLY - What Do You Think? I am a little bit torn . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment