About Roset

My photo
No words can explain how deeply people want to connect with each other. How much pain they will suffer trying to be accepted, to be valued and to be loved. The yearning to be wanted is probably the most trauma that some individuals will ever inflict up on themselves. No matter race, colour, creed, sexual orientation, religion, culture, gender, age or any other factor, what everyone wants is to belong, to connect, to be loved. It is so easy to reach out to someone yet, for some it is the most difficult thing to find someone to connect to. Reach out to those you meet in your daily march. You just never know whose life you might touch, what spark, even unknowingly, you may make.

Tuesday 7 May 2013

Keeping it simple .....


 
The golden rule!

Well, somewhere along the way things got a bit too complicated and negative to continue to navigate. At some point something had to 'give'. It wasn't such a difficult decision after a school councillor made me aware that I'm making a difference to a particular cohort of students. Students that have come to respect and look up to me, yet I spend 15 hours a week working on one alternative project that isn't likely to make as much difference to individuals when I could more reasonably use that time to help students that actually need me. Considering the fact I've been completing a management unit as well as teaching a full beginning teacher work load I do not at all feel the decision to drop the 15 hour a week preparation for what amounts to a 2 hour class is anything to feel bad about. In fact, for the first time since starting the position I suddenly feel like I know where my energies should be focused instead of being pulled in all directions without actually belonging anywhere. I'm relieved. After saying that the relief wouldn't have been needed if the unit for term 2 had been given to me the Friday before term started on the Monday!! Not the way I work in general - preparation and organisation are key for product output. Last minute reviews don't hack it for me. I do know teachers who thrive on last minute lesson planning and it works well - it's just not for me.

The decision does mean I can now focus on one main area and do that better than I have been doing. It means, hopefully, I'll be freer to do more for more although resigning the 2 hour position I had does drop me to part-time, which means I'll be paid much less unless the 2 hours can be credited to my other subject for organisation, testing, expenditure, reports and funding applications. We'll see - otherwise, I suppose I can hand the management unit over to someone else and focus solely on teaching. Let's make it simple...... Where the students benefit and I have time to give them the extra support they need.

In the end, the choice is a good one and frankly after being told there are more experienced and capable teachers who could do the 2 hour class better, why am I slogging myself to death? If someone can do it much easier.... Goodness! Logic follows that the person able to "do it better" should actually be doing it. I've no problem with that. Let me go and do what I do with the other cohort. Everyone should be happy all round... Lets hope.




No comments:

Post a Comment