About Roset

My photo
No words can explain how deeply people want to connect with each other. How much pain they will suffer trying to be accepted, to be valued and to be loved. The yearning to be wanted is probably the most trauma that some individuals will ever inflict up on themselves. No matter race, colour, creed, sexual orientation, religion, culture, gender, age or any other factor, what everyone wants is to belong, to connect, to be loved. It is so easy to reach out to someone yet, for some it is the most difficult thing to find someone to connect to. Reach out to those you meet in your daily march. You just never know whose life you might touch, what spark, even unknowingly, you may make.

Friday 1 March 2013

Love the job, love the students, but have one big pain in the arse to deal with . . .


It is now week 6 of term 1 and I can honestly say without reservation that the move to retrain as a teacher was one of the best decisions I ever made. To have the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of our youth, to be able to encourage and build confidence where self esteem issues are prevalent and to be able to support learning outcomes for students and work in a collaborative environment are all very compelling reasons to become a teacher and to stay a teacher. I really do love it more than I thought I would. I am so happy..... happier than I ever thought possible at work, hence the arriving at school at 7am and leaving after 5 most days. I just LOVE it. The overall environment may well be criticized by many and tired worn out teachers may have become cynical and to some extent have 'given up' on students in favour of a routine that secures a pay packet every fortnight but all in all teachers are a resilient and sturdy bunch who truly care who are ever hopeful of being of service. Ok!? All good right? Yes, all good.

So, what is the one big pain in my arse (sorry for the expletive but as you will soon see, I am so over this)! One colleague, who just happens to be in Senior Management, has done nothing but complain and moan and carry on about my having a PhD. It became very clear very early on that he does not agree with the Principals "plan" to "employ more people like" me which apparently, so he tells me has gotten the backs up of lots of other staff members. Apparently, so this fella tells me, "staff feel threatened that every new member of staff employed this year have PhD's or are working towards one". Ok - right, I can understand that. Yes, if I were an existing member of staff, I possibly would feel threatened by my boss hiring only those people who have PhD's. I can understand that if it were true that there was an agenda to actually do this.

As, it turns out, "all the new staff employed" this year do not in fact have PhD's, nor are they working towards one. Even if they were it actually makes no difference whatsoever to teaching ability which this fella in Senior Management is often pointing out to me. "Having a PhD doesn't mean you'll be a good teacher" - Am I dumb I ask myself! I know this is true - not all individuals who have a Diploma in Teaching and Learning make good teachers either so really he has no argument or real point at all, yet he still, goes on. YES - I BLOODY WELL GET IT - I understand that he doesn't like the fact I have a PhD but honestly, it really has nothing to do with him. It also does not have any bearing on whether I will or will not be a good teacher or, on my salary, chances of promotion or ought else. I truly wish he would get over himself. (After almost 5 weeks of this I am getting tired of hearing it). Anyway, on further discussions and general chit chat with other staff, it is clear there are issues and factors around resentments and hurts that are historical and for which I am bearing the brunt, but on getting to know these other staff members I quickly realised that they have nothing against me personally at all. In fact, I kind of sympathise with all the changes they have had to endure and acknowledge that maybe they just need more time to settle and find their place in the new structure at school and also in regard to the new philosophies that the Principal is trying to instill. So, all good there. The individuals who did not want to give me time of day because of what I represented and what I have achieved now treat me collegially and with some degree of respect. I can ask for no more than that and I am happy to call them my colleagues.

Now, that leaves the fella in Senior Management who takes every opportunity to put me down or speak to me in a way that is not only offensive but embarrassing when in front of other staff members. Now, don't get me wrong, I can take a joke, but when I am constantly ridiculed and belittled and spoken to with orders that are fiercely directed at me it has gone beyond a joke into the realms of sheer ugliness and personal attack. For example, the latest attack was in front of two other staff members yesterday. As I was walking passed them to collect photocopying, this fella literally shouts me over and in a loud commanding voice says "SIT" as if I were a dog. I said "excuse me?" and he said again in a loud ordered voice "SIT" to which I replied "No man, ever in my life has spoken to me like that" to which he simply replied "I wouldnt dare speak to my wife like that and if she knew I had spoken to someone like that she would have something to say". He laughed... I was not laughing! He ordered me once more to "just sit". Still, there was no apology and he continued laughing. I said calmly "maybe this time I will make an exception" and I sat down awkwardly and rather embarrassed and asked "how can I help you?" He went on to say that the Principal does not want me to teach the Year 11 science class but he thinks it might be a good idea. Now, there are many things wrong with this, not least that I know he is lieing. 

For the last five weeks he has been trying to pit me against the Deputy and the Principal and all the time I have been telling him that these two people have been nothing but supportive and encouraging towards me. He blamed the staff who were threatened by my having a PhD on the Deputy, saying it was her who "told everyone, all new staff have a PhD" when in fact all I see and hear is him making a song and dance about this, even though I have told him it is not true. It is like he is trying to pit me against the people that I trust and who gave me this job and I will not have it. I think, but cannot prove, that this is why his manner and attitude towards me has become even more aggressive. Yet, he is a well respected, influential and a well liked member of staff so if I speak out I am likely to be further ostracized and treated unfairly. So, what do I do. A rock and a hard place springs to mind...

Right, back to Friday and the "SIT" order he yelled at me. As it happens I already know about the Year 11 Science class and the request from the HoD of science for me to take the class, but the 'facts' already relayed to me where not the same as the Senior Management fella stated.  Now, the HoD, told me that this Senior Fella chap said 'no, it would not be allowed' but when she asked if the Principal, she stated she would consider letting me teach this class. Yet, the Senior Management guy stated on Friday that this was actually the opposite way round. Which is true? It is like he is trying to play at being my 'friend' when in actual fact what he is saying and doing is the complete opposite to get me off side with the very people who gave me this teaching opportunity - Little does he know that my loyalty lays with those that employed me with his mind games and subtle manipulations.

I am not saying I will teach the class at this stage as I do have my hands full with my PRT load and the running of ESOL. In addition, the ESOL students are now comfortable with me, but I would like to explore the options if in fact the Principal, as the HoD in Science indicated, was willing to consider it. Regardless, I wouldnt want to upset the Principal as she has been very supportive and encouraging towards me and I would not want any other aspect of my teaching suffer, least of all the students who would loose me to another class.

So, the truth as it appears to actually be is this.
1. There are NOT a dozen or so staff overly threatened by me that they will not accept me as this Senior Management fella indicated

2. There are staff members, who he has himself convinced, believe that the Principal has employed and will only employ staff with PhD's - the TRUTH IS that this IS NOT SO and I am in fact the only new employee with a PhD albeit some of the others do have Masters Degrees, but then so do existing staff members. A fact he seems to be willing to overlook!

3. He is the only one who is threatened and needs to express this by talking to me in the most offensive way, which is more than just having a 'joke' or being 'funny' - it is inappropriate and offensive and demeans me in front of other staff.

4. He is the one using the manipulations of the 'truth' for his own ends to make himself appear as my 'friend' or an 'allie' when in fact he is trying only to cause rifts between me and others, which I DO NOT WANT.

5. He is the one waiting for me to fall flat on my face thinking I could not handle the ESOL funding as well as PRT teaching loads and duties and I truly think he is disappointed I managed this. His expressed 'concern' about me to many staff members and his discussions of me with other PRT's already caused me embarrassment when a particular PRT told me "he is really worried about you" - to which I was taken aback especially as I already stated I was very happy and managing so far. These 'concerns' were filtered back to me from another new PRT and were unjustified and made me look like I couldn't cope only because he had stated that, when in actual fact I believe I have done just fine and proved my ability to date.

So, what do I do? Do I now say something to the people who employed me and hope to God they believe me or has he already managed to make them think negatively of me already or / and made them doubt I am able?

It was easier to deal with when he was putting me down without others hearing but now it has started in front of other staff members I think it is time to review my options. I was looking forward to ESOL teaching for the foreseeable future but considering this chap will soon be my Learning Department Head it might be best I jump ship and try and transfer to science so I don't have to put up with his put downs, talking to me like a dog he can order around and criticizing my personal achievements. Yes, I think I need to be strategic even if proving him right - "she cant cope" (BS***). Surely, that is better than being a whipping boy for his insecurities and stupid games. I'm over it.  

A possible strategy - take on the Year 11 science class and ask later to be moved to science away from him. Then I do not have to complain or make any waves that may well come and bite me in the arse because staff are, in reality, likely to stand by him, not the newby - me, especially as at least one PRT has been convinced by him that I "take things the wrong way" .... anyone listening or seeing how he spoke to me on Friday could not mistake that for being anything other than verbal controlling abuse.

I dont need the money - I am teaching for the students so I could in reality leave. Whose going to back me up anyway . . . . he's well liked. At the end of the day, I represent what other staff already tell me they don't want - lots of teachers with PhD's as much as they may like me. What I represent and what I have already achieved stands against me. I am going to have to be very careful. He's clever alright. Playing devils advocate and I don't play games. Still, he is well respected, probably moreso because most feel he had no chance of the job he now has. Rather than see the Principal as a fair and just person who gave the job to the best person, he complains about not expecting to get it because of her. It's all rather backwards, disloyal and manipulative and I DO NOT LIKE IT. I'm too old for games and crap like this. I don't need it - job hunting I think. There, decision made - he can have his way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment