About Roset

My photo
No words can explain how deeply people want to connect with each other. How much pain they will suffer trying to be accepted, to be valued and to be loved. The yearning to be wanted is probably the most trauma that some individuals will ever inflict up on themselves. No matter race, colour, creed, sexual orientation, religion, culture, gender, age or any other factor, what everyone wants is to belong, to connect, to be loved. It is so easy to reach out to someone yet, for some it is the most difficult thing to find someone to connect to. Reach out to those you meet in your daily march. You just never know whose life you might touch, what spark, even unknowingly, you may make.

Friday 1 March 2013

Feedback from 'my' students!

So, I left  a table on the whiteboard in the hope one of my classes would attempt to fill it in. Low and behold I get to class today and the students asked me if they were allowed to '"mark you Miss"... I said yes, and I wont look while you do it so be honest. To the sound of many giggles and whispers each student approached the board and placed their tick. Here are the results:



Only one of the students doesn't like ESOL class, but if there is one student out of a class of 13 who doesn't like it then it isn't too bad, especially since it is my first term teaching my own class. Here is the plan of work for next week...

















This week I had to talk to my African students who keep refusing to speak to female staff members. I asked a male colleague to assist with that and he very kindly did. I then rearranged my entire lesson to teach about equality and Western Culture. The students role played and acted out their cultural attitudes and then reversed rolls so they experienced how they made others feel by ignoring them, shrugging them off or turning their back on them. The roll play went well but then I felt we should acknowledge that all cultures are accepted in the ESOL classroom. Some students have difficulty supporting and encouraging others, so the rest of the lesson was dedicated to the acronym ASPIRE: Aroha, Support, Pride, Integrity, Respect and Excel for each and every one of us, the culture in the classroom and the wider community. Needless to say we are a bit behind in lessons now but nothing we cant make up next week. The students were tired today after a full day of athletics yesterday anyway.

Other than today, the week went well and student feedback was very positive. Their test scores have not risen as much as I would like but their spelling and article use is coming along nicely, as well as their confidence speaking up in class.

Science class was fantastic with a teacher asking if she could steal me for their school. The students feedback was even better and their workbooks had sad faces drawn on them when the lesson was over.

All in all, learning outcomes are increasing for both students and myself. Love it. So, love it.....

No comments:

Post a Comment