About Roset

My photo
No words can explain how deeply people want to connect with each other. How much pain they will suffer trying to be accepted, to be valued and to be loved. The yearning to be wanted is probably the most trauma that some individuals will ever inflict up on themselves. No matter race, colour, creed, sexual orientation, religion, culture, gender, age or any other factor, what everyone wants is to belong, to connect, to be loved. It is so easy to reach out to someone yet, for some it is the most difficult thing to find someone to connect to. Reach out to those you meet in your daily march. You just never know whose life you might touch, what spark, even unknowingly, you may make.

Wednesday 30 January 2013

I wasn't sure, but now I know . . . I'm in love

What a rough start to the week.

I spent the two weeks prior setting up the classroom only to have the carpet cleaners come in and totally destroy everything, and I mean EVERYTHING. Tables were turned upside down, computers were stacked and strewn on the floor, wires were knotted, chairs were on bookshelves, over computers, stacked in the oddest way. It was a bloody mess, after all that hard work to get the room looking inviting and nice for the new students. I was not happy. Someone even less impressed was a language teacher who voiced her very public dismay at such appaulling treatment of school resources as well as all the hard work I had put in. The first day I saw it I just locked the door and walked away. I just couldn't face it, but then there was a sudden surge of adrenalin so I returned two days later to once more lift, pull, drag, heave and throw the room back in to some sort of order. Another sweaty day - who knew teaching could be so physical!

Well, Induction done - I almost fell asleep at the end of that day. Our heads were whizzing with so much new information - some of which I think we forgot the next day. The seasoned teachers said they felt overwhelmed so at least we are feeling the same. This was followed by two days of Professional Development - much of which I thought was common sense, but hey ho, on we go. The presenter was well informed and enthusiastic and as I advocate for PD for anything, it was pretty good. It led me to think about a Graduate Profile and also a Departmental Philosophy which I went away to write. Although tiring, I liked it! The result was that I wrote a Graduate Profile for my learning area as there was not one, and goals for the department, as there weren't any. 

Met my 'Mentor Group' - well six of them anyway. Out of 15, only 6 turned up and three of those are in my class, all of who do not speak any English. That is a challenge for me. When collecting my Mentor Group from the Assembly Hall, did they laughed at me - yes they did. With ethnic names I, of course, pronounced a few wrong including a boy I called Sophie instead of Sophi (sof-eye). Some names I couldnt even fathom how to pronounce so fumbled through with laughs from the students. The other teachers were nice and said 'well done' but I knew it was embarrassing all round really. The students were graceful enough to shrug it off. Bless 'em.

I have told my Mentor Group - those students I will look after for the whole year, that there is no goal or dream that they could possibly have in life that I cannot or will not support them with. If it is a serious life goal, a week, month, term or yearly goal then I will support them unconditionally. To that end, those students that did turn up to class completed 'My Goals' sheets along with answers to the questions of
- how will I reach my goal
- what will I do to reach my goals
- when will I know I have reached my goals
- what help do I need to reach my goals and,
- what help can I give others to reach their goals
This is my attempt to have a collaborative Mentor Group where we all support each other and celebrate each others achievements. It is all about fostering an environment of respect even we/I do not agree with each others future aspirations.

What else.... Oh! Met with a liaison person from a tertiary institution who has set up a primary extension class. Primary school students are coming to school to be immersed in Science and Maths for two block hours per week. These classes need to be hands on and full of exciting 'things' for them to do to enthuse them about taking science when they graduate from Primary School and go on to Secondary School. It is about securing the future of the school too I guess, for future enrollments and reputation as a quality education provider.

Right, so now, I am signing off. Today was the first day I truly thought 'I haven't made a mistake - I LOVE MY JOB'. Lets see what unfolds. I'll either complete term 1 or be eaten alive . . . I am betting on the first! Eek....







No comments:

Post a Comment