About Roset

My photo
No words can explain how deeply people want to connect with each other. How much pain they will suffer trying to be accepted, to be valued and to be loved. The yearning to be wanted is probably the most trauma that some individuals will ever inflict up on themselves. No matter race, colour, creed, sexual orientation, religion, culture, gender, age or any other factor, what everyone wants is to belong, to connect, to be loved. It is so easy to reach out to someone yet, for some it is the most difficult thing to find someone to connect to. Reach out to those you meet in your daily march. You just never know whose life you might touch, what spark, even unknowingly, you may make.

Friday 15 June 2012

What teaching and learning means to me: Teaching Aims


Learning, to me, represents not only what takes place in an academic environment but also in everyday life from forming social and professional connections to learning how to act in certain situations. Learning is not solely about academia, however important we deem that to be, but also about living alongside each other and having the ability to solve everyday problems. Learning is truly one of the ‘things’ that remain with us throughout our lives whether acknowledged or not. Simply being alive, whoever we are, results in learning in some capacity. For me, teaching represents a formal tool in which to facilitate shared learning outcomes efficiently and effectively.

I learn differently dependant the focus of the learning. For example, when swimming competitively I learnt new techniques and styles by actively ‘doing’ after independently and quietly reviewing information. When learning science I review in depth and observe closely prior to ‘doing’ an experiment myself. I also draw mind-maps, using colour which allows me to visualise diagrams when recalling information. I am generally a solo, independent quiet learner until I have understood the topic myself and then enjoy discussing my ideas and thoughts as part of a collaborative team. I do not learn well listening to hours of audio or being ‘talked at’ nor by being thrown ‘in at the deep end’ without being given an opportunity to investigate, even if only for a few minutes, a new topic. This fails to elicit focus.

For me, an effective teacher would be inclusive, patient, understanding, concise and able to reinforce instructions and expectations, in a non-patronising way and also be open to learning from their students as well as able to guide students in their learning. He/she would include various activities in a lesson to ensure inclusion of all students, who may have varying learning styles and abilities, and encourage collaboration, respect and support for each other within and beyond the learning environment. Unfortunately, I did not have teachers like this myself.


At High School a teacher asked a student in my class which planet they were from. He replied, ‘Mars.’ No-one in the class ridiculed the answer except for the teacher who went on to make derogatory remarks about the student in every subsequent lesson. A teacher also bullied my brother because he had a learning disability and could not differentiate between ‘d’s and ‘b’s and often could not articulate himself clearly. I know that I do not want to be a teacher like I, my brother or classmate experienced. I never want to cause pain or contribute to someone giving up because of anything I have said or done, although I realise in reality we all do on occasion upset others without meaning to.

Teachers need to know how best to encourage and support all learners. A student maybe poor, in state care, difficult or unruly but teachers should refrain from making judgements or labelling individuals. Teachers may not know what is going on at home that results in of certain behaviour, or whether there is a learning or other disability contributing to frustrations. Teachers need to learn about behaviour and how abuse, neglect, trauma or significant events, like the earthquakes in Christchurch, may shape student behaviour or impact on learning. They also need to recognise what affect their comments, attitude, biases and personal thoughts and feelings may have on their teaching and subsequently on their students. Cultural knowledge is also important as to is recognising bullying and knowing how to handle it.

My aim is to embrace an attitude of equity for all students and support goals. However ‘obscure’ a learners aim may appear to others, I do not wish to detract or discourage it. I believe that anyone is able to achieve their goals and that all of us, as part of a global community, not only in the role of teacher, have the responsibility to nurture, support and encourage students to be all they can be and all they want to be. Some dreams and aspirations may well appear unrealistic but who are we to judge what someone is truly capable of aspiring to or what may be available in the future to allow someone to reach a goal that at the initial time of hearing seemed impossible. I want to be a teacher who enthuses and excites students about the world around them and who inspires students to form their own ideas and possibilities.

The strategies I plan to engage to achieve this include:
        i.        acting on feed-back from peers.
       ii.        Completion of courses related to professional development, behaviour and learning disabilities.
     iii.        asking for help even if I feel it may make me look stupid.
     iv.        Learning all I can about class room and behaviour management

I also think it important to dress appropriately. If a teacher is well presented then she/he leads by example and does not leave a window for inadvertently causing offence or a means for ridicule. A tidy and clean appearance is important and hopefully this will portray tidily prepared lessons and organised classes with clear objectives and summative/tidy reviews. It is my intention to provide a learning environment that is respectful, well organised and planned ahead of time and which incorporates different learning styles. My aim is to allow for management of a class by positive reinforcement rather than criticisms or chastising of inappropriate behaviour.

Overall, I think teaching incorporates more skill and ability than is generally recognised by the general public and even by student teachers. Teachers today play a mix of roles rather than a traditional ‘sage’ and ‘dictator’ as experienced during my school years. I am sure that areas where I need assistance will become more apparent as teaching practice commences and real experiences take place. I would like to eventually work with students who are difficult and who others may have given up on. Help in maintaining a working and effective balance between educating, guidance and facilitator in the classroom would be invaluable.

Retraining to become a teacher has been a long debated decision and not one taken lightly. My greatest fear is that I will embarrass myself or look like an idiot, but within these fears, I think, lies factors that we all feel at one time or another, including students. I am passionate about people and the world around us and hope to bring that into the classroom. I realise there are many basic tenants and much curriculum information to learn and brush up on prior to walking in to a classroom.

I am genuinely an advocate for justice, health treatment, freedom of speech and education for all. The latter not being the least important because it came last in the list. If I am given an opportunity to be able to serve and assist in any way to encourage and excite individuals towards their own goals, aspirations and dreams then I would be honoured to do so. Teaching is not new to me, albeit it in a completely different culture and country with completely opposing views to New Zealand but it is something I believe I will be good at, in time, with the right training and mentors.

I am very thankful to Bronwyn Taylor who initially interviewed me and showed great excitement at receiving my graduate diploma application. Her comments have stayed with me for the last 3 years. I always do my very best to succeed in the very best way I am able and with this in mind look forward to a career in teaching. I hope my attitude towards life in general; life-long learning, equity, inclusion and desire to see colleagues, peers and student develop both professionally and personally will help me achieve this vision of the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment