About Roset

My photo
No words can explain how deeply people want to connect with each other. How much pain they will suffer trying to be accepted, to be valued and to be loved. The yearning to be wanted is probably the most trauma that some individuals will ever inflict up on themselves. No matter race, colour, creed, sexual orientation, religion, culture, gender, age or any other factor, what everyone wants is to belong, to connect, to be loved. It is so easy to reach out to someone yet, for some it is the most difficult thing to find someone to connect to. Reach out to those you meet in your daily march. You just never know whose life you might touch, what spark, even unknowingly, you may make.

Wednesday 4 July 2012

Semester 2 commenced

Ahhhh..... two weeks off College flew by, mainly due to having so much work to do in moving back in to the house after EQC repairs were done. I need a holiday from the break! 

The first week back at College resulted in some decisions being made about subject areas to take. Originally enrolling in Chemistry, Biology and the compulsories it very quickly became apparent that the workload would be far too much with other life events to juggle as well. As a result I have decided to drop biology and hope this is not a mistake, especially since the grade I would anticipate for biology would be far better than that for chemistry which I have decided to continue with. I made this decision for several seemingly sound and logical reasons....

1. next to physics, chemistry teachers are the most sought after teachers.
2. apparently biology teachers far out number biology teaching positions.
3. chemistry would provide me with a challenge unlike I have experienced for a long while!

So, after making the decision I discover that the first NCEA exam for chemistry is to take place on Monday next week and I am very ill prepared. This evening and the weekend then, will be spent brushing up on various types of bonding.

I think, right now, I am happy with the decision, but time will tell. The assignments include a lesson unit plan on alkenes and alkanes, a practical demonstration and sitting 4 chemistry NCEA exams and evaluating the process. An added bonus and the overall decision was made easier by having a teacher who is very knowledgeable, diplomatic, kindly and understanding of students/people as well as seemingly wanting the best for everyone in his class. He makes me want to do well just by being himself. That is all the motivation I need to put in the extra hours that will be needed to pass this course.

Professional Studies was interesting this week and the assignment is on restorative practice which I am undertaking with 4 other students. Having completed the My Portfolio page already I am hoping they will band together and do most of the booklet making and presentation preparation. We will see. I am very interested in restorative practices, techniques, skills and implementation. Unfortunately, I missed class today because I was in an interview for a teaching position starting 7 January 2012. More about that in future blogs...

Education Studies does not run on a Wednesday morning as a group of us discovered this morning turning up for a lecture that did not run! Hmmm.... sometimes the communication facets, even with all the ICT in place does not quite filter through, but alas, a good coffee and chat had with some student teacher colleagues. I really enjoy talking to other people on the course.

This about sums up week 1. Worries...... all my worries are centred around teaching practice 2. Terrified of failing and scared of not being able to perform satisfactorily. This seems to be the same fear as most other student teachers, so all is 'normal' there although I am thinking that teaching is far from a normal profession in this day and age.... making it all rather more appealing.

Well, that is the end of this blog. Stayed tuned for more news . . .





No comments:

Post a Comment